Connect with us

Top Nigerian Newspaper Headlines For Today, Sunday, 20th June, 2021

Published

on


Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspaper headlines in Nigeria for today Sunday, 20th June 2021.

Thousands of aggrieved card-carrying members of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), on Saturday in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital, dumped the party to form what they described as a “Third Force”.

Naija News reports that this is coming just as political activities ahead of the 2023 election gathers momentum in the state.

Speaking to newsmen at the launch of a new political platform, spokesman of the defectors, Abdulfatai Abdulrahman, APC Kwara Central Senatorial Chairman, said, “The new party will be unveiled in due course as soon as possible.”

According to him, the crisis rocking the ruling APC in Kwara State has reached its climax, adding.

The Senate Public Accounts Committee has declared that civil servants in Nigeria are more corrupt than politicians.

The Chairman of the Senate Committee, Matthew Urhoghide who made the submission said the claim is based on investigations and analysis of the report of the Auditor General of the Federation from 2015 to 2018.

It is understood that the report of the Auditor-General is based on the accounts of federal ministries, departments, and agencies (MDAs).

Naija News understands the Senate Public Accounts Committee (SPAC) is the only standing committee of the red chamber recognized by the Nigerian constitution.

Some angry residents of Kaduna State on Saturday, blocked the popular Abuja-Kaduna highway, causing heavy traffic hold up on the road and leaving many travellers trapped.

Naija News gathered the protesters are majorly from Anguwar Magaji in Chikun Local Government Area of the state who are protesting the increasing waves of insecurity in the country.

Particularly, the villagers are understood to be angry because of the recent killing of a 13-year-old girl by bandits and are protesting the general insecurity in their land.

The bandits reportedly stormed the house of the village head and abducted his family as well as other persons in the community.

A suspect and bread factory owner, Hassan Magaji, has revealed that he made N400,000 supplying bread to bandits in Kaduna state.

Naija News reports that Magaji alongside Abubakar Ibrahim, Auwal Abubakar and Ibrahim Kabiru were arrested by the police on June 8 on their way to Damari forest around Birnin Gwari and Giwa Local LGAs.

My relative, Mustafa Magaji, who owns several bread factories, visited in 2018 and taught me how to bake cakes. I used the N21,000 that I was able to save to start the business and now I make at least N400, 000 a month,” the suspect told The SUN.

“The boom in my business began when I started supplying bread to bandits.”

A former presidential aide and book writer, Reno Omokri, has reacted to claims of him wanting to join the All Progressives Congress, APC.

Omokri in a post on his verified Twitter account said he can never join the Nigeria ruling party come what may.

Naija News understands that Omokri’s statement is coming after the backlash of his recent commendation of President Muhammadu Buhari.

Omokri who is a loyalist of former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan recently applauded Buhari for visiting Borno State amidst fears of insecurity in the state.

The Federal Government is set to commence the trial of 800 suspected Boko Haram members.

The Deputy Director, Prosecution and Head of Complex Casework Group, Federal Ministry of Justice, Chioma Onuegbu, stated this in Abuja on Friday during a media engagement on networking for justice and accountability.

She added that out of 1,000 case files reviewed, 280 had been filed at the Federal High Court, while 170 were recommended for release for lack of evidence.

Onuegbu also said the charges had been served on the Legal Aid Council of Nigeria, who would be defending the suspected insurgents in court.

The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo (SAN), says the disbandment of the notorious Special Anti-robbery Squad (SARS) was responsible for the worsening insecurity in the country.

Naija News recalls that the squad was scrapped last year by President Muhammadu Buhari after series of #EndSARS protests across the country.

The protests called for the total disbandment of the squad over several reports of human rights violations, extortion, and extra-judicial killings.

However, while delivering a lecture at the Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja on Friday, Keyamo said the scrapping of the squad has given criminals more confidence to operate successfully.

In spite of massive backlash from Nigerians, the Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government has begun moves to retrace and recover grazing routes across the country.

Naija News recalls that 17 southern governors had after a meeting in Delta State imposed a ban on open grazing in the region.

But President Muhammadu Buhari had directed states to revive cattle grazing routes across the country.

He disclosed that he has asked Nigeria’s Attorney General, Abubakar Malami to begin the process of recovering land from persons who have converted cattle grazing routes for their personal use.

The military camp in Zagzaga community in Munya council area of Niger has been shut down by the Nigerian Army after another attack by bandits.

A report revealed that the military has also launched a search with youths in the community for one missing soldier in the wake of the attack.

The military camp was shut down after bandits believed to be 60 in number invaded the camp early Wednesday and engaged soldiers in a gun battle.

The attack saw military officers injured, while a soldier was declared missing.

A source within the community noted that hours after the soldiers moved out, bandits launched an attack on communities in the area.

The Imo State Commissioner of Police, Abutu Yaro, has said arrested members of the Eastern Security Network (ESN) linked to the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) will be arraigned for murder.

The police boss said the suspects who were unleashing violent crimes on the state would not be allowed to go uncharged.

He told The PUNCH that law is very clear on the activities of the group, adding that razing public infrastructure and killing of security operatives were an act of terrorism.

That’s the top Nigerian newspaper headlines for today. Read more Nigerian news on Naija News. See you again tomorrow.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2020 DABATVNEWS BY ALPHA PLUX.