Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspaper headlines in Nigeria for today Tuesday, 4th May 2021
President Muhammadu Buhari has in a bid to restructure the nation’s security architecture approved the establishment of a National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons.
Naija News reports that the development which was contained in a statement released by the presidency on Monday, May 3, confirmed the appointment of Retired Major General AM Dikko as the National Coordinator of the centre.
It was revealed in the statement that the centre would be domiciled in the Office of the National Security Adviser.
The presidency explained that the decision is part of the ongoing restructuring of Nigeria’s security architecture to address emerging threats and strengthen the regional mechanism for the control, prevention and regulation of SALW.
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has accused the government of President Muhammadu of muzzling press freedom.
Atiku, in a statement in celebration of World Press Freedom Day on Monday, lamented that the media had suffered at the hands of the Buhari government in the last few years.
He said: “The celebration of World Press Freedom Day suggests a twin notion of an independent media and freedom of expression, which is enshrined as a fundamental human right. These two notions have been acknowledged to be indispensable in the working of democracy.
“A democracy without press freedom is like having fanciful machinery without an energy source to power it.
“And just as our experience in Nigeria, especially in the past few years has shown, democracy becomes an immobile concept when press freedom and freedom of expression are trampled upon,” he said.
The Governor of Ebonyi State and Chairman of South-East Governors Forum, Dave Umahi, on Monday, disclosed that evil men are currently in the state to kill residents of the state.
Umahi disclosed in Abakaliki during a prayer session organized by the government to seek God’s intervention on insecurity in the state.
He further stated that he had been advised to halt the inspection of projects in the state, but he would continue to do so because he is not afraid.
Boko Haram terrorists from Yobe State have invaded four local government areas of Bauchi State, destroying some facilities in the communities.
The development was revealed by the Secretary to the Bauchi State Government (SSG), Alhaji Sabiu Baba, at a press conference on Monday.
He listed Zaki, Gamawa, Darazo, and Dambam as some of the affected Local Government Areas.
The insurgents reportedly vandalized telecommunication masts in Gamawa.
He added that security operatives in the state apprehended five people in connection with the vandalism of the telecommunication mast in Gamawa.
Baba noted that the state government has beefed up security around the neighbouring communities.
He said the state government has identified some security threats associated with an influx of people into the state from Yobe where Boko Haram wreaked havoc.
A former governor of Nasarawa State, Umaru Tanko Al-Makura has revealed his intention to contest for the position of the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
He made his intention known in a statement issued on Monday signed by his press secretary, Danjuma Joseph, when his campaign coordinators in the 13 LGAs in the state, visited him in his Lafia residence.
Al-Makura said he is waiting for the party to zone the position to North Central before declaring his intention to contest formally.
The Nigerian Army says troops of Operation Hadin Kai foiled Boko Haram terrorist’s attempt to infiltrate Rann town, the capital of Kala Balge Local Government Area of Borno State on Saturday.
In a statement on Monday, spokesperson of Nigerian Army, Brig.-Gen. Mohammed Yerima, said on 2 May 2021, another band of terrorists attacked Ajiri town of Konduga LGA of Borno state.
He, however, said two soldiers and several civilians were killed, while many houses were burnt by the terrorists in Konduga.
The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), has revealed why Nigeria is yet to receive the £4.2 million allegedly looted by a former governor of Delta State, James Ibori.
Recall that at a ceremony on March 9, Malami, who represented the Federal Government signed an agreement with Catriona Laing, the British High Commissioner to Nigeria, had announced that the funds would be repatriated within two weeks.
But in a statement on Monday, the spokesman of the AGF, Dr. Umar Gwandu said issues relating to documentation of funds transfers took a little bit time more than expected.
He stated that the Muhammadu Buhari-led government would do everything possible to get the looted funds back to Nigeria quickly.
The President of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Ayuba Wabba, has berated Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, for describing workers as ‘micro minority’.
Naija News recalls that El-Rufai, had on Monday, April 12, revealed his plan to disengage some public servants in the state for fiscal reasons.
“The public service of the state with less than 100,000 employees and their families cannot be consuming more than 90% of government resources, with little left to positively impact the lives of the more than 9 million that are not political appointees or civil servants.
“It is gross injustice for such a micro minority to consume the majority of the resources of the State.”
Reacting while appearing on Channels TV’s Sunrise Daily, Wabba said El-Rufai’s comment is a disregard for the efforts of the workers who ensure the smooth running of his administration.
Popular Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi has declared that past administrations as well as the government of President Muhammadu Buhari have not handled the issue of bandits correctly.
He stated on Monday that the bandits have not been engaged enough and that is why there has been a recent increase in their activities.
According to him, most of the bandits are making a rush to get enough money before security agents close in on them and that is why killings of kidnap victims have increased recently.
Additionally, Gumi noted that most of the bandits he has engaged with have laid down their arms and are ready for negotiation but a few who don’t trust the process are the ones responsible for the upsurge noticed in banditry, kidnapping and other criminal activities.
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) on Monday said it is yet to conclude investigation into the alleged killing of some soldiers of the Nigerian Army by its airstrikes.
It will be recalled as previously reported by Naija News that a Nigerian Air Force (NAF) fighter jet reportedly made a mistake, attacking some ground troops on their way to the town of Mainok.
The plane was intended to respond against Boko Haram terrorists loyal to the Islamic State of West Africa Providence (ISWAP) but mistakenly attacked military forces heading to Mainok town, 55 kilometers to Maiduguri.
After the incident, NAF said an investigation has been opened into the matter but when contacted on Monday for an update on the matter, NAF spokesperson, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet told Sahara Reporters that investigations are still ongoing on the alleged incident.
That’s the top Nigerian newspaper headlines for today. Read more Nigerian news on Naija News. See you again tomorrow.
Source: Naija News