Connect with us

Nigerian Newpapers

Sahara Reporters Latest News Today Monday 16th November 2020

Published

on

Sahara Reporters Latest News Today Monday 16th November 2020

Sahara Reporters Latest News Today Monday 16th November 2020

Sahara Reporters Latest News Today and headlines on some of the happenings and news trend in the Country, today 16/11/20

Read also nigeria newspapers Monday 16th November 2020

Lagos Police Raid Black Spots, Arrest 720 Suspects, Recover Weapons

The police in Lagos on Sunday said they arrested 720 suspects in several black spots and hideouts in the state as part of efforts to curb crime.
Olumuyiwa Adejobi, spokesperson for the police in the state, disclosed this in a statement on Sunday.

Weapons, charms, and harmful substances were also recovered from the suspects, Adejobi added.
He said, “The command today, Sunday 15th November, 2020, at about 7am, carried out raids simultaneously on identified black spots, reasonably believed to be harbouring criminals and hoodlums, across the 14 Area Commands in Lagos State. 
“In the swift operations, police operatives of the command arrested 720 suspects with incriminating items including locally-made guns and live cartridges, charms, weed suspected to be Indian hemp, substances suspected to be cocaine and some items suspected to have been looted from various shopping outlets within the state during the recent EndSARS violence. 
“The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State, Hakeem Odumosu, who matched his words with actions, had earlier warned and directed police officers and men to move against lawlessness and criminality in Lagos; he affirmed the zeal of the command to sustain the operations, even, beyond the yuletide season. 
“CP Hakeem Odumosu has however directed the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of SCID, Panti, to commence discreet investigation on the arrested suspects for immediate prosecution. He also urged those whose items were looted during the recent EndSARS violence to come up for claims of their items with prove of ownership.”

Police

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Millionaire Pastor, Shepherd Bushiri, Flees South Africa Ahead Of Fraud Trial

Shepherd Bushiri

Shepherd Bushiri, a popular millionaire pastor, has fled South Africa ahead his fraud trial.
The controversial pastor has a large following across Africa and is considered one of the richest religious leaders on the continent.

Shepherd Bushiri

Investigators in South Africa say the case involves $6.6m fraud.
Bushiri, who had previously declared that he wanted to clear his name of the allegations, has now returned to his native Malawi with his family.
Earlier this month, he and his wife, Mary, were released on bail after being charged with fraud and money laundering. 
He said there had been attempts on his life and he accused the South African authorities of not offering protection.
Bushiri said his decision to skip bail as “a tactical withdrawal meant to preserve lives”.
The cleric reportedly fled on Malawi’s presidential jet with President Lazarus Chakwera, sparking fears of a diplomatic row between the two countries.
Meanwhile, the Government of South Africa announced on Sunday that they had begun the process to extradite him back to the country “to ensure the fugitives face justice”.

Corruption

Scandal

South Africa

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements


E2%80%99s-president-resigns-after-outrage-following-death-two-protesters Peru’s President Resigns After Outrage Following Death Of Two Protesters

Manuel Merino

Manuel Merino, President of Peru, has resigned following the death of two protesters.
The deaths, which happened while people were protesting the sudden impeachment of his predecessor, Martin Vizcarra, sparked outrage in the country with calls for his resignation.

Manuel Merino

Reuters

Merino took power on Tuesday after legislators shocked the nation by voting to remove the popular former President, Vizcarra and then swore in Merino, who was the head of congress.
On Sunday, in a video message to the country, Merino said, “I present my irrevocable resignation. I call for peace and unity of all Peruvians.”
He added that he would now focus on ensuring a smooth transition to a new leader to avoid a power vacuum. 
A new interim President is expected to be announced later today.
 

International

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Nigerians Plan To Close Account With Banks Freezing #EndSARS Protesters Accounts On Monday

Photo Collage: The banks.

Nigerians are calling for mass boycott of banks, who acted on an order from the Central Bank of Nigeria to freeze the accounts of some #EndSARS protest organisers.
The accounts of some prominent organisers of the protest had been frozen since October 19 on the orders of the CBN before the apex bank approached the court on November 6 to legalise its action.

Photo Collage: The banks.

SaharaReporters Media

See Also

#EndSARS

Court Grants CBN’s Request To Freeze Bank Accounts Of #EndSARS Protesters

0 Comments

1 Week Ago

Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court in Abuja granted the request to freeze accounts in Access Bank, Fidelity Bank, First Bank Nigeria, Guaranty Trust Bank, United Bank of Africa, and Zenith Bank. 
Stanbic IBTC rejected the order by the CBN, describing it as anti-people.
Those affected include Bolatito Racheal Oduala, Chima David Ibebunjoh, Mary Doose Kpengwa, Saadat Temitope Bibi, Bassey Victor Israel, Wisdom Busaosowo Obi, Nicholas Ikhalea Osazele, Ebere Idibie, Akintomide Lanre Yusuf, Uhuo Ezenwanyi Promise and Mosopefoluwa Odeseye.
Others are Adegoke Pamilerin Yusif. Umoh Grace Ekanem, Babatunde Victor Segun, Mulu Louis Teghenan, Mary Oshifowora, Winifred Akpevweoghene Jacob, Victor Solomon, Idunu A. Williams, and Gatefield Nigeria Limited.

See Also

#EndSARS

REVEALED: How CBN Employed Disgraced Ex-AGF To Freeze Bank Accounts Of Alleged #EndSARS Promoters After Several Lawyers Declined Brief

0 Comments

1 Week Ago

The decision by the banks to comply with the directive has left a sour taste in the mouth of young Nigerians, who have vowed to boycott all banks involved by closing all accounts and withdrawing all of their monies.
Idiat Razak, a businesswoman, told SaharaReporters on Sunday that her business account was domiciled in one of the concerned banks and she would be closing it down first thing on Monday morning.
“I have a cousin who went missing for years, we didn’t know what happened and it really caused problems in our family. One day we got a call from a mortuary saying that someone saw him there.
“When we went his body had gunshot wounds, they said SARS that dropped his body there so I was among those who protested. I know the pain and so it is even more insulting that a bank where I keep my money would want to side with this evil government. We have choices and we will show them that this generation is different — I will be there first thing on Monday morning,” she said defiantly.
A member of the National Youth Service Corp, who only wanted to be known as Ms Adudu due to NYSC policy, said she wished she could take her money out of Access Bank but cannot because it is the only way she gets her monthly stipend from the government.
“I have an account with Access Bank that they opened for us in orientation camp but I cannot until I finish serving but I have been retweeting to create awareness,” she said.
Meanwhile, the calls for a boycott has been gathering momentum on Twitter.
Popular doctor, Olufunmilayo Harvey, tweeted, “I will never understand how a bank chooses to side with a shameless government that oversees the killing and shooting of its citizens. How a bank will side with them instead of the citizens who are the actual reason the bank even exists is beyond me. Access Bank is a total disgrace.” I will never understand how a bank chooses to side with a shameless govt that oversees the killing and shooting of its citizens.How a bank will side with them instead of the citizens who are the actual reason the bank even exists is beyond me.Access Bank is a total disgrace.— #OurFavOnlineDoc 🩺🇳🇬🇬🇧💎 (@DrOlufunmilayo) November 14, 2020

Rights activist, Aisha Yesufu, called for the boycott of Access Bank.
They messed with the wrong generation #[email protected] you really messed up big time. This #CoconutHeadGeneration are not smiling— Aisha Yesufu (@AishaYesufu) November 14, 2020

Peter Chukwumuanya said, “What to do is too simple, we start the online protest all over, but most importantly, boycott banks that froze those accounts, start with Access Bank, #BoycottAccessBank and this start tomorrow. Meanwhile, anyone who wants me to send him/her money must not send Access Bank, simple.”What to do is too simple, we start the online protest all over, but most importantly, boycott banks that froze those accounts, start with access bank, #BoycottAccessBank and this start tomorrow, meanwhile anyone who wants me to send him/her money must not send access bank, simple— Peter Chukwumuanya (@PChukwumuanya) November 15, 2020

#EndSARS

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Nigerian Government To Feed, Deworm Children With N142.3bn In 2021

File Photo: school feeding programme

In 2021, under the Home-Grown School Feeding, the Nigerian Government has earmarked N142.3bn to feed 9.86 million children, deworm seven million children and recount the pupils.
The proposed allocation for the NHGSFP accounts for 40.5 per cent of the total recurrent expenditure of the National Social Investment Programmes domiciled under the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, which was established in 2019.

File Photo: school feeding programme

According to PREMIUM TIMES, the N142.3bn is meant to cater to the feeding of about 10 million, deworming of seven million primary 1-3 pupils in 35 states and FCT and 60,000 out-of-school children, enumeration of pupils and training of cooks and farmers.
The National Assembly joint Committees on Poverty Alleviation detailed this in a document exclusively obtained by the newspaper which the committees submitted to the Senate in October.
The Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs also told the National Assembly that in the coming year, it would expand the NHGSFP programme to target additional five million children in conventional and non-conventional schools under the Alternate School Programme.
Also, N2.7bn is planned to be used for the “purchase of feeding utensils, devices for capturing and aprons for cooks” for the feeding programme.
The amount billed for the NHGSFP is a slice from the N400bn – N350bn recurrent and N50bn capital expenditure – proposed to the National Assembly for the implementation of the NSIP in 2021.

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Lewis Hamilton Wins 7th Formula 1 Championship Title

Race winner Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain and Mercedes GP celebrates winning a 7th F1 World Drivers Championship as he walks onto the podium, applauded by third placed Sebastian Vettel of Germany and Ferrari during the F1 Grand Prix of Turkey

Lewis Hamilton has won the 2020 F1 championship, making it the seventh time in his career.
Hamilton supported the #EndSARS protest against police brutality in Nigeria in October.

Race winner Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain and Mercedes GP celebrates winning a 7th F1 World Drivers Championship as he walks onto the podium, applauded by third placed Sebastian Vettel of Germany and Ferrari during the F1 Grand Prix of Turkey

Getty Images

This win puts him at par with Micheal Schumacher’s illustrious record of seven world titles.
Reacting to his record-breaking victory, he said, “I’ve got to say thank you to my family. We dreamed of this when we were young, watching the Grand Prix, and this is beyond our dreams. It’s so important for kids – dream the impossible. You’ve got to work for it, chase it, and never give up or doubt yourself.”
Hamilton’s seventh title has been won with three races in the 2020 season.

Sports

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Married Man Sets Self, Girlfriend Ablaze In Benue State For Refusing Marriage Proposal

Nicodemus Nomyange, a 40-year-old married man, has set himself and his girlfriend, Shininenge Pam, ablaze in Benue State.
The duo died from the incident, which happened off Inikpi Street, High-level area of Makurdi, the state capital.

Trouble started when Nomyange, who had been discreetly seeing Pam for a while, proposed marriage to her, an advance she declined citing her preference to marry a single man and not one, who already had a wife.
Unable to handle the rejection, Nomyange went to her apartment, shut all the doors and windows and set the whole building ablaze.
Efforts to save them failed and they both died after sustaining various degrees of burns.
Their charred remains have been deposited at the Federal Medical Center, Makurdi, by officers of the Federal Road Safety Corps, who were at the scene of the incident.
Meanwhile, Benue State Police Command spokesperson confirmed the incident, describing it as unfortunate.

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements


Edo Government Purchases 25 Hectares Of Land To Build Correctional Facility

Godwin Obaseki

The Edo State Government has purchased 25 hectares of land to build a correctional facility.
Governor of the state, Godwin Obaseki, made the disclosure on Sunday during a thanksgiving service at the Government House in Benin, the capital.

Godwin Obaseki

Obaseki added that 725 vacancies had been declared in the state, The Nation reports.
He said, “About 725 vacancies have been declared. Within a month, the recruitment of a new generation of professionals will commence in earnest. By early next year, we would have completed the process.
“We will commence intensive training early next year for 30 to 45 days, by which time most vacancies would have been filled in the public service.
“After this, we will announce political appointments and get political actors to join us to begin to work on our manifesto to fulfil our promises to Edo people.
“Work starts on Monday. We have announced the appointment of Secretary to the State Government (Osarodion Ogie).
“We are expanding the transition team and they have 60 days added to the initial timeline to complete all aspects of their work.
“Together, we will design a new security scheme. We cannot wait for one central policing system to take care of the policing needs of Edo people.
“We have already graduated the first batch of 877 of the 2000 community constables that have been trained by the Nigeria Police Force.
“They would be deployed in various communities to work with local community arrangements to ensure effective coordination and keep criminals out of the state.”

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Bandits Shoot One Person, Kidnap Three Others In Kaduna Polytechnic, Rector Reveals

Two houses were invaded in the Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic Staff quarters on November 14, 2020 by suspected armed bandits and kidnapped three persons while shooting one on the hand.
Confirming the incident to journalists, Rector of the polytechnic, Dr Mohammed Kabir Abdullahi, said the bandits arrived the school at about 9:00pm on Saturday night to carry out the attack.

Abdullahi said, “It is true that suspected armed bandits have kidnapped one of my staff, Engineer Bello Atiku, who is the Head of Department, Computer Engineering of the college.
“He was also kidnapped along with two children to an unknown destination.”

The Rector also confirmed that one of the staff, Sunusi Hassan, who narrowly escaped being kidnapped by the bandits, was shot in the hand and had been rushed to a hospital for medical attention.
He attributed the incident to the porous nature of the school, which exposes it to danger.
Abdullahi appealed to the college community to remain calm as security operatives were on top of the situation.
The latest incident comes on the heels of students resumption after a long break necessitated by the COVID-19 outbreak and lockdown.

Insecurity

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Governor Sanwo-Olu Failed To Communicate Curfew Time Change To Us, Nigerian Army Says

The Nigerian Army has said that Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, did not inform them of a change in the time of the curfew imposed on the state on October 20, 2020.
The curfew was imposed to curtail peaceful demonstrations across the state demanding an end to police brutality.

Twitter/EditiEffiong

But after protesters failed to vacate the Lekki Toll Gate area, one of the main spots of the protest, the army was moved in on the request of Governor Sanwo-Olu to disperse them.
In the shooting that soon ensued, over 12 persons were killed by the soldiers, who took at least eight corpses away with them.
Shedding light into events of that day while appearing before a judicial panel established by the state government to investigate the incident and brutality by police officers against civilians, Brigadier Ibrahim Taiwo, who represented the army, said Sanwo-Olu failed to inform them of the change in curfew time.
He said, “It is a shame that the Lagos crisis has been reduced to what happened at the Lagos Toll Gate.
“Little mention has been made of the wanton destruction that happened prior to that occurrence.
“What is worse is that the families of the police that were killed will not get closure because of the way their bodies were disposed.
“The world over, it is the custom that the army intervenes when a situation overcomes the police and paramilitary services.
“The occurrences that took place from October 18 were nothing short of lawlessness and violence.
“This was what prompted Lagos State governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to request the intervention of the army.
“The change in curfew time was not communicated to the Nigeria Army.
“Contrary to what is out there, it was done throughout Lagos State upon receipt of Stage 4 of IS Security. Phase 4  is the immediate deployment of soldiers outside the barracks to intervene.
“To show how dire the situation was, the fire alarm beagle was sounded. When this is done, you report immediately to the parade ground pr the armoury.
“Troops were deployed from Badagry, Ikrodu, Epe, IApapa, Ikeja, Alimosho and even Lagos Island to restore order.
“The rules of engagement for internal security were strictly followed.
“It is inexcusable for troops to stand aside and watch the situation deteriorate.”

#EndSARS

Military

Politics

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Read also Nigerian Newspapers Today and Nigeria News Today

Sahara Reporters Latest News today

You can also check Sahara Reporters Newspaper Headlines Today